Background

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Oatmeal Scotchies

How is it possible that this is only the 2nd cookie recipe I've ever posted??  I don't get it either.


Don't hate on my napkin...I realize it's not winter anymore, but they're all I have!

My hubby is the one who requested these cookies.  Someone brought them in at his work, and when I asked them for the recipe, they said "Just look at the back of the butterscotch chip bag!"  Well, there is 1 change for those of us living in humid climates, but for the most part - go Nestle!

These cookies are sweet and satisfying (I think due to the oats).  But don't go thinking you can eat just one when they're warm from the oven...the night I made them, I definitely ate my fair share.  Of course, some are for me, and some are for the baby.  ;)

If you like butterscotch, definitely try these cookies!  And make sure to eat your fair share warm from the oven like I did (even if you're not pregnant).  :)


Wow...not only can you see the crumby detail of the cookie, but you can also practically see my fingerprint. 

Oatmeal Scotchies
Source: Slightly adapted from Nestle

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (If you live in a humid climate, increase the flour to 2 cups.  This is what I did.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened (margarine? seriously? get real people. butter all the way)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or grated peel of 1 orange (I used vanilla extract)
3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.) Nestle Toll House Butterscotch Flavored Morsels

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats and morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. (I like using baking sheets lined with parchment paper.)


Bake for 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies or 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies.  (I baked 7 minutes for chewy cookies and they were perfect).  Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment