Background

Friday, January 27, 2012

Promotion and a Cappuccino Cake

I am so proud of my husband!  He "put on Senior Airman", translation: he got promoted to Senior Airman.  I was SO proud of him, in fact, that I made him this Cappuccino Cake.


To be honest, he wasn't too thrilled that (right after he woke up from a nap) I made him stand outside and hold his cake, lol.  *I hope none of the neighbors are looking!, he says* 

This extra stripe, however, he is proud of.  And so am I...


I got this recipe from SouthernPlate.com, where Christy Jordan compared its flavor to that of a cake served at Darryl's, a restaurant I remember going to plenty of times growing up.  I never tried this cake there, though - my family always got the giant turtle sundae to share. 

This cake is dark chocolate fudge and the frosting is a cappuccino buttercream.  I wish I could tell you more, but the truth is, I have had a cold/congestion for a week now and I can't hardly taste anything.  :(  I did taste the frosting by itself, and from what I could tell, it was really good if you love coffee.  My hubby liked it too.  So, if you've ever had this cake at Darryl's and want to recreate it, or if you just love the thought of a dark chocolate cappuccino cake, here ya go.

Cappuccino Cake
Recipe Source: Southern Plate

Cake
2 heaping Tablespoons dark cocoa powder
1 Box any flavor of chocolate cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge)
1 Cup sour cream
1/2 Cup milk
1/4 Cup oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Cappuccino Icing
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups confectioner's sugar
Enough instant coffee granules to make three 6 oz cups of coffee (Read instructions on instant coffee to see how much they say to add for each cup. This will seem like a lot but it isn't)
1/2 cup milk
2 sticks butter, softened on the counter at room temperature (not in microwave)

Preheat oven to 350 and grease pans/baking dish.
Place all cake ingredients into mixing bowl.
Mix about two minutes with an electric mixer, or until well blended, scraping down sides as needed.
Divide evenly among prepared pans and let cook until done, about 25 minutes. (Since I was planning on sending the cake with my hubby to work, I made a single 9x13 cake instead of layers, just to make it easier on the guys.  You can do it either way, but my single cake cooked longer.  Just follow cake mix time directions for 9x13 & do a toothpick test to see if it comes out clean.)
Let sit in pans for ten minutes before turning out to cool completely.

For icing:
Stir instant coffee granules into milk until dissolved.
Place well softened butter in mixing bowl and beat until fluffy.
Add all other ingredients and mix until smooth. Scrape down sides.
Beat with mixer 5-7 minutes or until fluffy.
Ice cake and refrigerate. Best if served cold with chocolate ice cream and drizzled with chocolate syrup (such as Hershey's).


No comments:

Post a Comment