Background

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cheesy Potato and Smoked Sausage Casserole




My name is Holly and I am addicted to Pinterest.  Like, it's a serious condition.  In fact, my husband just came in here and told me for the fourth time tonight that I should get off Pinterest.  "Don't you have anything more fun to do? he asks. 

*confused facial expression*  As if looking on Pinterest isn't fun?

So, I decided to finish this blog that I'd started of this recipe that I made the other night.  I bet you can't guess where I found the recipe.  ;)  *evil grin*

Okkkk, so what really happened was that my hubby offered to go grocery shopping for me last week so I could stay with the baby at home.  Yay!  So, I made a list, including ingredients to make this amazing looking soup that I'd seen on ...you guessed it...Pinterest.  I needed a pound of ground turkey sausage.  Instead, my hubby brought home a pound of completely cooked turkey sausage - the kind in the gi-normous round links.  He didn't understand why I just couldn't use it in the soup.  Ummm, maybe because the soup didn't call for giant looking hot dog pieces in it?  lol

I told him not to worry because I could find another recipe to use it in.  Guess where I found the new recipe?  On Pinterest.  Are you noticing a trend yet?  Anyway, it ended up being a good find!  A good ol' warm, comforting meal for these cold nights.

I still hope to try that soup recipe soon.  If it's good, I'll share it with ya, so be on the look out!


Cheesy Potato and Smoked Sausage Casserole
Source: food.com

3 cups idaho potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool, approx. 1 lb
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 lb skinless smoked sausage (we used smoked turkey sausage)
1/8 teaspoon paprika


Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then chop into 1/2 inch "half moon" cuts. Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently till browned.
Meanwhile, put cooked & diced potatoes in 2 quart casserole. Add cooked meat and give it a gentle toss.
Mix all remaining ingredients (except for shredded cheddar cheese & the paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted and smooth. (Use a whisk and stir constantly.).
Pour white/cheese sauce over potatoes and meat. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).

No comments:

Post a Comment