Background

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Grape Salad

Listen.  And hear me.

If you're the kind of person who will take one look at the following photo and close out the screen, please stop yourself.  Don't be like me, circa 2009.  You see, there was a time when we had many church members and friends in the community blessing us with dinners almost every week because my mom was very sick.  One night, someone brought dinner and I opened the container...and there sat this goopy mess they called "grape salad".  I'm usually one to try pretty much anything before judging it, but for some reason, this was a dish I immediately decided I would not try.  Thennnn, everyone else in the family started eating it and there were rounds of "oooooohs" and "aaaaaaahs" over how yummy it was.  I reluctantly took a bite, and WHOA BABY was it good!  A totally unexpected flavor!  I guess I was expecting a "savory" dish, like a pasta salad, but this was really sweet!  YUM!

Here is the grape salad I made tonight:


 
Don't close the screen.  Don't run away and hide.  Just try it!  : )

It tastes like grapes covered in cheesecake filling.  uhh-mazing. 

And folks, if you do make it, please, for the love of Pete, try one of the grapes first.  A dish that stars grapes will NOT taste good if your grapes do not taste good.  It's elementary, my dear Watson.

Grape Salad

3 lbs. small red seedless grapes (wash and dry)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup Splenda
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup chopped nuts, roasted  (I use pecans.  And yes, I pronounce it pee-cans.  Don't try to be fancy and pronounce them puh-cahns.)

Cream together the cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla, Splenda, and brown sugar until smooth.  Fold in the grapes and half of the nuts.  Sprinkle the remaining nuts on top.  Keep in the fridge in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment