Background

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Brookies


Tonight, my hubby and I are going to a bonfire at our new church!  We are really looking forward to the fellowship, fun, and food!!

Everyone was asked to bring a side item with them.  To me, apparently "side item" = dessert.  Would you have expected anything else??  But no worries...I know everyone will love these yummy bars.  "Brookies" are basically a chocolate chip cookie shaped and baked like a brownie.  Brownie + cookie = Brookie!  : )

The first time I made these, I put a large Brookie square in my husband's lunchbox the next day.  Apparently, the sight of this treat was too much for his fellow Airmen to take, and when hubby got home from work, he told me that he had to break off pieces to share with his friends!  They all loved it and were constantly asking him "when his wife was gonna make...those...uhh,...I can't remember what you call them! Those brownie cookie things again!" 



I'm also kind of excited that this is my first blog featuring another blogger's recipe!  After all, these ladies (and a few gents) are the reason I even wanted to start a blog.  They are awesome, creative, and so generous to share their recipes with everyone.  So, a big thanks to Bakerella for this yummy recipe!!

Brookies
(Bakerella gave about 3 or 4 different options of what these bars could be called...I picked "Brookies" because I thought it was the cutest.) 

2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 lb. light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
11.5 ounce package milk chocolate chips  (I used chocolate chunks)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional - To me, nuts are a NO-NO in desserts so I left them out.)

Bakerella has made these 2 ways and recommends to mix this all by hand.  I, for one, will always do what Bakerella says.  : )

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.
Stir brown sugar into softened (not melted) butter in another large bowl until butter disappears. You can use the back of your spoon to help incorporate the two together.
Add eggs one at a time to butter mixture and stir well after each egg.
Add vanilla and mix well.
Add dry flour mixture and stir until well combined.
Stir in chocolate chips/chunks and nuts (if you're using them).
Coat a 13 X 9 pan with non-stick spray and spread batter evenly into dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Make sure you don’t over bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment