Background

Friday, October 21, 2011

Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole


This casserole is one that has been a favorite of mine for years.  It is creamy and delicious, with a buttery, salty Ritz cracker topping.

Ok, I'll admit it...I'm a topping stealer.  Anytime something is made with a delicious topping (Ritz crackers & butter, melted cheese, brown sugar/cinnamon, etc) I manage to do as many "walk-by's" as possible to sneak pieces of topping.  I just cant help myself.  I only do this if it's a dish in my own home or at a family gathering (SORRY family!!), and I always seem to get caught every time.  Oh well...maybe one day I'll gather some self control, but until that day I will continue to steal toppings and feel sorry for everyone that didn't try its yumminess straight from the oven.  : )

**Whatever you do, don't tell my hubby this casserole has any sour cream in it, let alone a whole container!  He is a "hater" of sour cream, but last night he said this casserole was "even better than the regular chicken casserole"!  He then asked me what the sauce around the chicken was, and I wouldn't tell.  He said "It better not be sour cream!" to which I replied, "Yeah, it better not be!"   ; )



Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole

1 large packet of chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
16 oz. container of sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
1 stick butter
1 sleeve Ritz crackers (crushed)
1 TB poppy seeds
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large bowl, mix shredded chicken with sour cream, cream of mushroom, and poppy seeds.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Spread into a 9x13 baking dish.
Crumble Ritz crackers over chicken mixture in dish.  Melt butter and pour over the top as evenly as possible.  (I like to then sprinkle some more poppy seeds over top of the crackers for the appearance.) 
Bake at 325-350 degrees until bubbly and golden brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment