Background

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Tortellini Soup


Who doesn't love a bowl of hot soup?  It's one of my and Jordan's favorite meals to eat - any time!  Now that it's fall and the weather has cooled off, I will especially be thinking of different soups to make for our dinners. 

This tortellini soup is delicious and healthy!  Funny story - the first time I ever made this, I basically made it as healthy as possible, and it ended up being vegetarian.  I used whole wheat 3-cheese tortellini and organic vegetable broth.  While Jordan liked the soup, he voiced his opinion that he would prefer me to use a meat tortellini and chicken broth instead.  Go figure.  Men and their meat!  lol

So now, to keep my hubby happy, I make this soup with his wishes in mind.  : )  The nice thing about this recipe is that you can customize it to suit your favorite flavors.  And bonus: It comes together very quickly so it is ideal for a weeknight meal when you've had a long day, but still want a good meal!  Happy cooking!

Tortellini Soup
Adapted from Annie's Eats

1 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup chopped onion (sometimes I even shred mine on a grater so the pieces are thinner)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with juices
4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
9 oz. fresh tortellini (any variety - I now use Buitoni Chicken & Prosciutto flavor and it's delicious!)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Grated/Shredded/Shaved Parmesan Cheese (I use shaved because I love the way it melts over the tortellini like a blanket!)

In a large pot, heat 1 TB EVOO over medium-high heat.  Add onions to the pot and cook about 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.  Add the minced garlic and keep stirring for about 1 minute.  Add oregano, diced tomatoes, and broth.  Bring to a boil.  Add tortellini and cook according to package (mine says boil about 8 minutes).  Turn off heat.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve warm with shaved Parmesan and crusty bread on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment